If you don’t like fish, this recipe can easily be substituted for shrimp, chicken breast, or even tofu!
1. 4 small fillets of tilapia or any mild white fish
blackening spice (I use Chef Prudhomme – You can make your own as well, by combining the herbs and spices below – the blackening spice recipe is from BigDaddy’s house on the food Network channel)
- 3 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried ground thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
2. 1 tsp butter
3. 1 tbsp olive oil
4. 1 loaf whole wheat french bread
5. 1/2 cup sliced green onions
6. 1 tbsp minced garlic (2 minced cloves)
7. 1 tbsp real mayo
9. 1 big handful of baby spinach
10. 1 tomato, sliced
1. Combine the Mayo, Green Onions, Garlic to make a spread.
2. Split french bread in half lengthwise. Scoop out the ‘innards’ of the bread. Toast the bread until crunchy in a hot pan or oven. Save the innards to make fresh croutons for another day, or throw out the bread.
3. Spread green onion mixture onto both sides of the bread. Layer Spinach and Tomato on the top half. Season the tomatoes with pepper.
4. Season the fillets with blackening spice on both sides.
5. Melt butter and olive oil in a hot pan, preferably cast iron. Cook the fish on both sides until the fish forms a reddish crust from the blackening spices.
6. Layer the fish onto the bottom half of the french bread. Cut the sandwich in 4 pieces, and serve!
Enjoy this sandwich with perhaps some baked sweet potato fries, or a spinach salad. In fact, add a bit of buttermilk and salt to the green onion spread, and you have a mighty tasty ranch-like dressing! (Serves 4.)
How to vote: Drop a line in the comments! Rate it – what do you like about it? What do you dislike? Give it 1 star, 2 stars, 3 stars or 4 stars! One vote per person, please.
I love it! It’s simple and accessible, and I think most people will find it easy to fix. 4 stars.
That looks soooooo good!!! I would like one and some sweet potato fries please! LOL I like it because it doesn’t have a lot of ingredients and it looks like an easy meal for anyday, but especially a Sunday during football season. 🙂
Oh, and I give it 4 stars.
looks great! and easy 4 stars
This looks so editable and delicious I may go and try it now. I’m an eater and I love things that I can prepare and consume in less than 15 minutes. This gets 4 stars in my book and I can’t wait for more great ideas from you!!
Wow, this looks so good and it’s very simple to make! I give 4 stars, it’s healthy, simple, and looks tasty!
I’ve been looking for a great tilapia recipe that was relatively easy to make and didn’t require a lot of ingredients. I’ve been afraid to cook tilapia because I thought it was bland, but will definitely try this!
This recipe looks fantastic, and best of all, easy prep time and the ingredients are simple! 4 stars
Looks great! Can’t wait to try it. 4 star!!!
4 stars! I bake tilapia every week, so I’m excited to try this out!
Looks easy and tasty. I can’t wait to try it with shrimp (but not the tomatoes–don’t like them). I’d give this 4 stars.
Great recipe! 4 stars.
YUM! this looks delish! 4 stars!
4 stars! Looks great!! Can’t wait to try it!
Yum! It was so easy to make, too. 4 stars!!
I’m salivating at everything: the execution, the pictures and the ingredients. I can’t wait to try this recipe! 4 stars
Right up my alley! 4 stars!
I think this is genius! Everyone loves a sandwhich, and this is as quick and easy as it gets! 4 stars!
4 ★ ☆ ✰★ – Because you can’t go wrong with three of my favorite things about food:
Good job and YUMMY!!!!
Easy and tasty? 4 stars!
4 Stars!!! I got some tilapia in the freezer right now too!
This looks so tasty, I give it five stars!!!!
Comments are closed.