Home My Journey The Champ’s Toughest Fight

The Champ’s Toughest Fight

by Erika Nicole Kendall

It really, truly felt like any other Friday.

Like any other Friday, I rushed across the house like a madwoman, and Ed had to help me get myself together while I tended to Kyli, my daughter. Like any other Friday, Mini-me was running behind schedule. I’ve never been able to figure out why it takes a child who is missing almost half of the teeth in her mouth soooo long to brush them, but I’d just resigned myself to playing time-keeper instead of fussing at her for wanting to brush every single individual tooth like she was trying to cherish it while she had it.

“Mini-me, it’s 7:25… Mini, it’s 7:30… it’s 7:35. We’re not going to be able to call Nana this morning like you promised her last night!”

“Okay Mom, I’m coming!”

School gives Mini-me anxiety. She’s a brilliant child – she finds patterns in things easily, and it’s helped her catch on to things quicker than many children. That being said… if she didn’t catch on as quick as she was used to, she became an Olympic sprinter. Down the hall, around the corner, [apparently] past the security desks and out the front door. Though she’s never made it further than ‘around the corner’, it was still cause for intervention.

We called it “Nana therapy.” Something about Nana made Mini calm. My mother and my daughter – and, I suppose, me – all shared the same kind of anxieties, but while I “solved” mine with food and while Mini-me solved hers by choosing “flight” over “fight,” Nana took everything head on. Even when it might’ve resulted in clearing a bar top with a human being or taking an axe to someone’s car windows…

…but that’s neither here nor there. Either away, when you look up the word “spitfire” in the dictionary, my mother’s life story appears as the first definition. She’s just a champ like that – a “gray sweatsuit, standing at the top of the stairs, fists in the air” type of champ.

Something about her Nana made Mini-me sit, listen, and relax. Nana helps her find the ability to stay and fight, helps her understand how to be fearless, how to ask for help. If Mini-me was having a rough day in class, the teacher would call me, and I’d immediately call Nana on three-way. Before we all knew it, she’d be a different child. Her day would become infinitely greater.

This morning, both Eddy and I walked her to school… just like every Friday. (Well, almost. I’d been bugging Ed to come with me to the parenting forums… and for some strange reason, today he’d decided he’d just get up and come with me.)

And, just like every other Friday, I stayed at the school to talk to other parents and sit for our weekly parenting forum that we regularly host… but that’s where the similarities ended.

For some reason, my baby sister was ringing my phone off the hook. And, because I remember the last time she bugged me to death… I let that joint go straight to voice mail. Left with no recourse, she sent me a text that sent me flying out of the room:

“Erika, why won’t you answer your f–king phone mom is in the hospital!”

I called. Got the news. Mom had a seizure in the middle of a business meeting, and was sent directly to the hospital.

I stood outside of the conference room where we were having our forum, and waited patiently to catch Ed’s attention. When he arrived, I burst into tears, sobbing and trying to explain what happened to her. We left the school, and on the walk home Ed booked the rental car. Clearly, we needed to go.

We went into Jersey, got the rental car, and came right back to the house. I grabbed my book bag, my laptop, and headed for the door. Ed stopped me.

“Are you going to pack any clothes?”

I looked around the room, and saw the laundry hamper. I grabbed it, and rushed for the door. Ed grabbed the dogs, and we went straight back to the school to grab the little one. We were out.

Though the Holland Tunnel was trying damn hard to stop me, nothing was keeping me from getting to Indiana. Rain storm? No. Speed limits? Not even. Cops? What are those?

The vast majority of the night was spent making phone calls and managing the flow of information. With Ed and Baby Sis – who is not quite a baby, but is 21 and my god, are they annoying – texting numbers to each other and other people to let everyone know who’s manning what, we called all the people we could and hoped they were good at playing telephone. They never are, but when you’re driving almost 100 miles an hour down a long stretch of highway… you focus on what’s most important.

When we arrived, Saturday morning, I was overwhelmed. Overnight, they’d discovered that The Champ’s seizure was caused by a ruptured aneurysm, and sent her straight into surgery. So much of the night was spent with no music, and just me whispering to myself about how I couldn’t believe how this was happening to us. To my Mommy. The lump in my throat was so large, I was afraid to cry. I feared being unable to breathe.

The hospital staff are, without a doubt, patron saints of dopeness. After spending the night whispering and sniffling, all I could do was whisper… and they were so kind. I rushed right in to see my Mom, and there she was. Still, resting, but everyone surrounding her – doctors, nurses, everyone – was optimistic.

“She’s strong.. we asked her to squeeze our fingers and, well.. we weren’t expecting the level of strength she had.”

I stood over her, daughter in my arms, and swallowed for the first time in hours. She looked like… Mommy. Nice big bandage on her head, but Mommy, nonetheless.

Mini-me was crushed. I was so focused on what seeing Mini would do for Nana, I’d forgotten to think about what seeing Nana would do for Mini-me. She calmly asked to step outside the room with Daddy, which I did. I watched her from the hospital room window. Ed picked her up, and she curled up like a newborn infant in his arms… and tears slowly made their way down her face.

With her out of my arms, I finally felt like I could cry. Mom was asleep, and people repeatedly reminded me of how well she was doing and how optimism was a safe bet… but that’s The Champ laying there. Nothing or nobody has taken my Mom out before… and seeing her this close was difficult to do. This was, easily, her greatest challenge.

I’m not gonna lie. I hadn’t combed my hair, dug the “sleep” out of my eye or even wiped off my leftover-and-half-gone-already makeup for that matter. I was kind of glad she was asleep while I looked so disheveled, because… Mom’s a bit of a jerk. She’d been warming up to my natural hair – curly or straight, Mom just likes “long hair” – but it needed to be “properly maintained.” She didn’t mind me rocking “an oversized-Angela Davis,” but you couldn’t be flat on one side, or flat in the back. Properly round, or not at all. It’d be totally like her to wake up and say, “Dang, you walk in here like that?” That’s just… my Mom.

A nurse walked in and started to prep her for removing her breathing and feeding tubes, because they believed she was ready to do all of those things on her own. I stood there and watched… and smiled – when they asked her to cough, she coughed; when they asked her to push, she pushed; when they asked her to pull, she pulled. They asked her the year, she said “thirteen;” they asked her who was president, she said “Obama;” they asked her what kind of facility she was in, she said “hospital;” they asked her to open her eye so they could check her pupil, she opened her eye wide, as if to say “IS THIS WIDE ENOUGH? CAN YOU LEAVE ME ALONE??”

The nurse laughed and said, “Yeah, she’s alright.”

Mom caught a glimpse of ‘fro in the corner of the room, and both eyes rolled over towards me. Her eyes met mine, then rolled up to my hair. Then rolled back down to me. Then rolled back up to my hair.

“I don’t wanna hear a word about my hair, Mom.”

She let out a soft giggle.

“How did you get here so fast?”

“100 miles an hour.”

“You can’t do that.”

“They can’t catch me…. You know, Mini’s here.”

“Ed, too?”

“All of us. We’re all here.”

“Sala and Sushi too?”

“Yep. We’re here with Bella.”

(After seeing my blog post about my puppies, she went out and got her own. A husky, at that.)

“Are they all in my room?”

“Nope. They’re in their own room.”

And then, she reached out for me. Like, genuinely reached for me. I took her hand, and I sat down. Her pain meds began to kick in and she fell right asleep, with her hand in mine.

Mommy & me

I’m pretty sure I held that hand the rest of the day.

I had to have a very long talk with Mini-me. I essentially traumatized her – she was just on facetime with Nana the other night… why is Nana in the hospital today?

“How do you feel right now,” I asked her.


“Why are you sad, Mini?”

“Because your mother’s dead.”

“No, honey, she’s very much alive… she’s just on medicine to help her feel better.”

“Why is she in here? What happened to her? What are all those things connected to her?”

I tried my best to explain to her that Nana hurt her head, her friends took her to the hospital, her doctors are taking great care of her, and the tubes were just monitoring her to make sure she stays healthy. Mini-me hugged me and Ed together, and we all held each other. We’d be spending the coming days in my Mom’s house… and we needed to prepare ourselves for the reality of her not being there. For now.

Because, like I said… The Champ is undefeated.

You may also like


Angele D. Russell January 14, 2013 - 1:44 PM

Love + Light to you, Erika! You are both Champs! Will definitely be praying for a speedy recovery!

Kay January 14, 2013 - 1:46 PM

Your hair may have been disheveled, but your nails are cute! 🙂 I’m so glad your mother is okay. Your blog is a blessing to me, and I will be praying for your family!

Erika Nicole Kendall January 14, 2013 - 1:53 PM

LOL As I posted the picture, I thought to myself… “My mom would flip if she knew I posted that photo of her nails unkempt.” LOL

Malia January 14, 2013 - 2:16 PM

I am glad that your mom is doing well. Also praying for fast recovery!

ab January 14, 2013 - 2:37 PM

I’m happy for you, she is still here and you made it through the 100mph drive.

I’ll include you and your family in my prayers. do take care.

cjbrownsc January 14, 2013 - 3:59 PM

So glad your mom is doing well.

I will be keeping her, and the rest of your family, in my prayers!

Keep the faith!

Julie January 14, 2013 - 4:11 PM

Praying for your mom and your family. (And kind of superfluous to say right now, I suppose, but you are SUCH a good writer. Having made a similar trip to my mom’s hospital room, I’m not totally sure I wanted to be right with you through your experience… But you carried me right with you.)

Erika Nicole Kendall January 14, 2013 - 9:02 PM

*biiiig hug*

Misty January 14, 2013 - 4:37 PM

I read you blog every chance I get. I’m sorry to hear about your mom, but I’m glad she’s doing better

Charlz January 14, 2013 - 4:56 PM

Praying for your family and The Champ.

Nwanne Makanjuola January 14, 2013 - 5:24 PM

May God grant your mom quick healing! You are sure an inspiration Erika Nicole Kendall! God bless you, Ed, Kyli, THE CHAMP IS UNDEAFEATED!

Sonali January 14, 2013 - 5:26 PM

So glad your mum is doing okay, here’s praying for a speedy recovery. I love your nails! 🙂

Reecie January 14, 2013 - 5:49 PM

your post made me cry. recently being concerned from my mother’s health also, brought back those feelings. I’m so glad The Champ is doing better and remains undefeated!

these times of getting older and worrying about our parents and loved ones… man. hard stuff. May God continue to bless you and your family, sis.

Erika Nicole Kendall January 14, 2013 - 8:55 PM

I remember the talk we had a year or so back, Reecie. *big hug*

Erica January 14, 2013 - 7:38 PM

All hail the Champ! Wishing your Mom a soothing, healthy and quick recovery. Hope little Kyli feels better too. It’s hard to see your Mom/Grandmom in the hospital.

Kitana January 14, 2013 - 8:50 PM

Aww, man. I’m glad to hear your mother will recover! I know that must have been crazy scary; I lost my mother 2 years ago from pancreatic cancer and it remains the single most painful thing I have ever experienced. I really wish nobody would have to go through that. Sending many good thoughts your way!

Marla January 14, 2013 - 10:46 PM

I have been hoping all is well ever since you posted about your mom this weekend. Since I am one of your fans that happens to live in the area, if you needed me to go get you some grub from the new health food store, just let me know:) Sorry your return to Indy is cold. I am sorry your return to Indy is under these circumstances, but I am glad mom’s allright. Thank you for sharing with us during this difficult time

Kia Michette January 15, 2013 - 12:49 AM

Lifting all of you, Erika. I feel you. Truly.

Erika Nicole Kendall January 15, 2013 - 1:21 AM


Louise January 15, 2013 - 1:09 AM

Erika, I’m a long-time lurker. I love your blog, it’s a real inspiration and a reminder of what really matters in life. I’m glad your mum is all right and wish her a speedy recovery – hope you and you family are well. Take care.

Erika Nicole Kendall January 15, 2013 - 1:21 AM


Kera Dean January 15, 2013 - 10:13 AM

Erika……Thank you so much for sharing. I have covered your mom & your entire family in prayer. While reading it I cried & smiled…..I love your blog. love, peace & happiness be with you always. Our moms really need to meet, lol!

Lynne January 15, 2013 - 11:36 AM

Hey, just lifting you and your family up in prayer. I have a 4 yr old daughter, who adores my mother, although our relationship is going thru a difficult time right now. There were so many layers to your story, the most important to me is that when you got the call, you dropped it all…and were out! Nuff said!

God bless, and I can’t wait to read your book.

Michelle January 15, 2013 - 12:17 PM

Thank GOD your mother is doing well. You are such a wonderful writer had me in here all “teary eyed”. Praying for a speedy and thorough recovery for ALL of you. Blessings to you and thanks for sharing!

Aleecia January 15, 2013 - 1:10 PM

Interceding on your behalf.
Take a page from The Champ’s book and be strong. 🙂

kami January 15, 2013 - 8:22 PM

I love your blog, I hope you mother gets better. I wish her a speedy and healthy recovery. Wishing you the best!!!

Iesha January 15, 2013 - 9:08 PM

Thank goodness your mother is alright!!!!! I know that feeling all too well. I lost my mother this past summer, and the adrenaline that you feel when you’re flooring it to the hospital is unexplainable. Thank goodness she’s alright, and I hope she makes a good and speedy recovery! You guys will be in my thoughts and prayers!

Janine January 19, 2013 - 1:18 PM

This made me cry! Don’t worry, you can do this.
If your Mom is still in the hospital, you can see if that facility provides ChildLife specialists- they are support staff that are especially trained to explain medical issues to children in a “developmentally appropriate” and comforting way. They do things like explain how hearts work, and what surgery is like for the patient, and generally de-mystify the process to make it less scary/less hard on the little ones.
Sending you good vibes.

christine February 4, 2013 - 10:04 AM

I am so glad your mother is ok, I went through a similar situation with my mom during Thanksgiving. The phone call, the disbelief, the “gotta get there” feeling.

lynne February 4, 2013 - 10:09 AM


Korri September 10, 2013 - 4:15 PM

Glad your mom is doing well. Take care and my prayers and love is with you! <3

Comments are closed.