This is my most recent attempt to “eat with the seasons.” I just joined a CSA and my first goal was to learn exactly what the heck these people are putting in my bushel every other week. One little surprise in the last delivery was chard. I learned it had an earthy spinach flavor, so I decided to try it with some other traditional fall offerings.
2 small apples- peeled, cored and quartered
1 cup cranberries
¼ cup cold water
3 tbsp honey
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cleaned and dried
1 cup chard (or spinach), steamed and cooled
2 slices Swiss cheese
2 tbsp olive oil
¼ cup lime juice
½ tsp black pepper
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp basil
1 tsp garlic powder
1. Marinate chicken in lime and pepper
2. Combine cranberries, apples, water and honey. Blend together and set aside.
4. Lay chicken flat in a baking pan, bottom side up
5. Place half a piece of Swiss cheese on top of each piece of chicken
6. Place a tbsp of the chard mixture on the cheese. Place 1 tbsp of the cran-apple sauce atop the chard.
7. Fold the chicken and pin close with a toothpick
8. Brush the outside of the chicken with olive oil.
9. Bake chicken for 30 minutes at 350 °.
10. Take chicken out and drizzle cran-apple sauce atop the folded chicken.
11. Replace the chicken back in the oven. Bake for 10 more minutes. Plate and serve.
How to vote: Drop a line in the comments! Rate it – what do you like about it? What do you dislike? Give it 1 star, 2 stars, 3 stars or 4 stars! One vote per person, please.