I’m really proud of the awesomeness being shared on the #ScaleFreeSummer hashtag, y’all.
Even if you can’t completely give up the scale (I outlined a plan for at least limiting your attachment to the scale here.), focusing more on the habits that can healthily encourage weight loss instead of simply seeing the pounds move is the goal… and I have to tell you, it has been a real delight watching you lovely folks share your progress (and the fruits of your spoils!) with the #bgg2wlarmy. Hell, on days when I personally feel like sitting at my desk and getting some work done, I look at that hashtag and feel like I need to get up and make it happen. And, quite frankly, that’s what’s intended to do.
#ScaleFreeSummer is meant to serve as encouragement. We’re out here, finding workouts that excite us and make us happy. We’re out here focusing on changing how we live. We’re out here digging in and diving deep. And, because of all that, we’re out here experiencing results. Does it really get any better than that?
I understand – it’s hard to just jump in, especially when you don’t even entirely know how to contribute.
That’s why I’ve got a few encouraging tips for you in how you can get in on the action on social media! Presenting…. five ways that you can be down with #ScaleFreeSummer, with a little help from my friends!
1) Share your workout victories! Did you test your 1-rep max and find that it’s almost 20lbs higher than before? Did you hit a PR on your run? Did you finally master that crane pose? Tweet about it! Even better, instagram it! Share the little victories that make the activity meaningful to you. Since one of the tenets of #ScaleFreeSummer is to find an activity that challenges you, pushed you to grow and do better… the moment you realize that you’re progressing in your skill should be an exciting one! Share it – pat yourself on the back, and give someone else a little encouragement along the way!
2) Share your better choices. Did you finally succeed in walking past that [insert donut shop] instead of walking inside? Chile, I know how hard that is! Share that victory on the #ScaleFreeSummer hashtag so that I can commend you! Did you finally go to the gym five days in a row? Share that victory! Did you successfully avoid the snack food aisle at the store? Did you find a new grocery store that has everything you want or need? Did you find a new activity to fall in love with? Did you take all the money you’d saved on skipping the snack food, and use it to buy some new running shoes? Share that! And show me the shoes! (I love a good pair of workout shoes!)
3) Share your fitness progress. How’s that progress dress fitting? Did it suddenly become easier to, ahem, drop down and get’cha eagle on? Were you finally able to deliver that epic one-two punch? You know how I speak, often, of the fact that I used to not be able to get up from seats and cars without bracing myself? I used to have to put both hands on the seat in order to get up from a chair; I had to put one hand on the car door and the other hand on the roof of the car in order to lift myself out of a car. I cried the first day I realized I no longer had to do that. That’s progress. That’s becoming more fit. It’s also not as much about weight loss as it is muscle development facilitating more efficient movement. That’s something to celebrate.
4) Cheer on others! Maybe you’re not ready to share, yourself, just yet. Not to fear. Check out the hashtag, and give someone else praise! It’s rough out there, sharing parts of yourself with strangers – well, I’m not a stranger.. I know each one of you… personally…okay, maybe not, but still! – especially when it’s hard to gauge how supportive your audience will be. Having that close-knit collective of supportive, like-minded individuals can serve as even more of a push towards committing to the goal. Tweet someone, using the #ScaleFreeSummer hashtag, and sing their praises! Cheer them on! Even give them a little “Awesome!” or “I see ya!” to let them know they’re getting it done.
5) Enter the giveaways!
I mentioned, in the beginning, that I had some lovely little friends who are dying to cheer you on in your journey…and I meant just that! Starting with my lovely pink “Sand to Savasana” duffel bag from Lululemon! When I bought one for me…I bought one for you! Enter below to win, and it’s all yours!
For more on #ScaleFreeSummer:
- The 5 Components of a #ScaleFreeSummer: Consistency and Commitment
- The 5 Components of a #ScaleFreeSummer: Compassion
- The 5 Components of a #ScaleFreeSummer: Pleasure and Praxis
- The 5 Components of a #ScaleFreeSummer: Mindfulness, and Thinking Before You Decide
- The 5 Components of a #ScaleFreeSummer: Goal Measurement – A Bajillion Ways To Measure Progress Without A Scale
- Friday 5: 5 Commandments…er… Tips for Enjoying Your #ScaleFreeSummer